The natural environment is deteriorating at an alarming rate because of certain damaging human activities. It is essential that people take charge in their everyday activities in order to prevent further damage. While governments around the world have taken measures to counter the deterioration of the environment, their endeavors will not be completely successful without the help of the rest of the population. Everyone can contribute to a better environment by making small changes in their own lifestyles by purchasing “green” products, recycling, consuming organic food, using alternative vehicle fuels and using alternative methods of power. Going “green” does not only make the Earth a better place to live in but it is hugely beneficial to the health of all wildlife and humans. People will live more healthier lives when they consume healthy foods, water, and even breathe fresher air.
Here are a list of ways that you can better your health and the environment.
1. Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle: In order to protect the environment, one needs to use less toxic products and throw away less trash by reusing containers and products. It is also beneficial to use and purchase recycled products.
2. E-Waste: This is proper disposal method of electronic devices that can help reduce more environmental damage.
3. Household Waste: The most effective way to reduce household waste is purchase products only out of necessity. Try to purchase products that have minimal packaging and can even be reused for something else later on. If you have to get rid of a hazardous substance or material, make sure you research where to dispose of it properly as to not to harm the environment or cause a problem with your local dump facility.
4. Light Bulbs: Find out how to dispose and recycle used and broken light bulbs.
5. Purchasing Green: Purchasing products that are recycled or environmentally friendly is a great way to control environmental damage.
6. Energy Star Products: Energy Star products are energy-efficient products that cause minimal harm to the environment and can also save you a bundle on your energy bills.
7. Green Power: Green Power is a governmental program that supports the use of renewable energy.
8. Green Food: Discover the environmental and health benefits of consuming green food.
9. Organics: Organic foods are foods that contain minimal chemicals, additives, or pesticides, and the cultivation and consumption of these foods can improve the environment as well as personal health.
10. Green Housing: Learn how green housing can contribute positively to environmental improvement.
11. Design and Remodeling: Green remodeling can help save the environment and help homeowners save money by having very self-efficient homes.
12. Finding Green Building Products: Green building products may not be easy to find, but they are essential materials in the construction of an eco-friendly home.
13. Alternative Energy: Using alternative energy sources such as solar, wind, hydroelectric, and geothermal energy can benefit the environment greatly. They are also a great way for homeowners to help save money on their utility costs.
14. Yard Work: Taking environmentally-friendly measures to maintain a yard is another great way to go green.
15. Low-Impact Lawn Care: Reducing the use of pesticides and saving water are a major way to take care of your lawn while having a low-impact on the environment.
16. Compost: Compost is made up of organic materials that are broken down by organisms over time. It is a great fertilizer that helps reduce house waste and is good for the environment.
17. Planting Trees: As the rate of deforestation is increasing throughout the world, planting trees has become an important environmental activity.
18. Septic Systems: Green septic systems can have a positive impact on the environment and on the efficiency of a house.
19. Transportation: Find out how transportation contributes to the deterioration of the environment and how you can take “greener” measures to reduce toxic emissions into the atmosphere.
20. Green Vehicles: People who use “green” vehicles are helping to reduce air pollution and the overall health of the environment and the organisms that thrive within it.
21. Alternative Fuels and Power for Vehicles: Alternative fuels such as ethanol, biodiesel, propane, natural gas, and hydrogen can make vehicles more eco-friendly while potentially saving people money.
22. Recycling Saves Money!: Find out how recycling can actually save you money in addition to being good for the environment.