DIY Home Repairs and Home Improvements
- Chalk It Up To Caulk: This site explains how the average homeowner can inspect and repair caulk on windows, siding and doors.
- DIY Shower and Bathtub Caulking: This site provides detail on how to replace caulking around a shower and bathtub.
- DIY Caulking: Know What Kind of Caulk to Use: This site offers information on the different types of caulk, including silicone, latex, and rubber, and when/where to use each.
- Use The Proper Type of Caulking and Tools for Efficiency: This article talks about areas of the home to check for caulk and which type of caulk to use in different situations.
- Choosing the Right Glue: This to That: This site provides a handy interactive calculator, in which the user inputs what type of material he or she is trying to affix to something. The calculator then specifies what type of glue to use for each instance.
- Hot Water Heaters: Make Yours Last Forever: This comprehensive site offers lots of information for the homeowner on water heaters, from servicing your current water heater to shopping for a new one.
- Water Heater Problems & Repairs: This site tells the homeowner how to fix minor problems and repairs with his or her water heater, including flushing and draining it.
- Toiletology: This extensive site offers information on just about everything a homeowner could need to know about toilets, from testing for leaks to replacing the flush lever.
- Fixing Plumbing Fixtures: This site provides information on how to fix various brands of plumbing fixtures and their company links for further information.
- Water Hammer Arresters: This site describes the problem of water hammer in a plumbing system and how to fix it.
- DIY Bathroom Plumbing for Beginners: This site tells homeowners how to install plumbing in a kitchen or bathroom.
- Easy Do-it-Yourself Bathroom Faucet Replacement Tips: This site describes easy ways a homeowner can replace a bathroom faucet.
- FabricLink Carpet Stain Guide: This site provides a handy index of different substances that can stain carpets and how to treat each stain.
- Do-It-Yourself Versus Professional Carpet Installation: This site describes, step by step, how homeowners can install carpet.
- Do It Yourself Carpet Installation: This site provides tips on installing your own carpet.
- Do It Yourself Carpet Cleaning Tips: This site offers handy tips and tricks to cleaning carpet.
- Do It Yourself Carpet Dye: This article tells the homeowner how to determine if carpet dye is needed and, if so, how to do it yourself.
- Do It Yourself Guide to Pulling Up Carpet: This site describes steps that the homeowner can use in removing old carpet.
- Paint Problems: This site by Michigan State University Extension describes common paint problems such as peeling and cracking and how to prevent or fix them.
- Painting, Staining, Wallpapering and Preserving: This site by the Natural Handyman provides all kinds of information on painting, wallpapering, staining and preserving.
- Exterior Repainting Tips and Techniques: This site offers common tips and techniques the homeowner can use when performing exterior repainting jobs.
- Best Exterior Paint: This site offers consumer reviews of the best exterior paints and also expert reviews, price guides and more.
- Exterior Paint Preparation: This site tells the homeowner exactly how to prepare exterior surfaces for paint, including scraping and masking.
- Best Interior Paints: This site provides the consumer an interior paint buying guide, offering reviews of different interior paints suitable for different uses.
Termites, Carpenter Ants & Critters
- How to Tell Winged Ants from Termites: This site from the University of Kentucky provides illustrations of winged ants and termites and points out the differences.
- Dr. Don’s Termite Pages: This site provides information on termites and ants and how they are similar and different.
- Drywood and Dampwood Termites: This site by the University of Florida describes the differences between drywood and dampwood termites and how to check for infestation of each type.
- Termite Baits: A Guide for Homeowners: This site by the University of Kentucky Department of Agriculture provides information for homeowners on termite baits, including how to use them.
- Carpenter Ants: This site by Washington State University provides information on carpenter ants, how to check for infestation, and how to control them.
- Carpenter Ants and Their Control: This site describes how to control carpenter ants when they become a problem in or around your home.
- Squirrels In Your Attic: This site provides information on baiting and trapping grey squirrels that infiltrate your home.
- House Mouse Prevention and Control: Sponsored by the Illinois Department of Public Health, this site describes how to identify house mice, prevent their infestation and control them.
- Drywall Tips: This site provides basic tips on drywalling, including installation, taping, finishing, repairing and texturing.
- Wall Repair and Fasteners: Sponsored by Michigan State University Extension, this site describes how to repair wall holes and cracks and various types of fasteners to use.
- How to Fix Drywall Holes: This article provides a step by step guide to fixing drywall holes.
- Do It Yourself Wall Art: This site describes how to create your own wall art, including stenciling, calligraphy and collage.
- Framing Walls: Inside Walls: Do It Yourself: This site explains for the beginner how to frame walls.
- How to Open Up a Wall: This site provides a step by step guide on taking out a wall.
- Methods to Silence a Squeaky Floor: This site by the Natural Handyman offers ways to quiet squeaky floors, including using nails or screws and bridging.
- Vinyl Tile Repair Made Easy: This site provides a handy guide for the homeowner on installing and repairing vinyl tile.
- Fresh Flooring Ideas: This site provides new ideas on creating different flooring styles, such as painting vinyl flooring.
- Do It Yourself Hardwood Floors: This comprehensive site provides lots of information on installing, repairing and finishing hardwood floors.
- How To Lay Floor Tile: This site provides a step by step guide for the homeowner on laying floor tile.
- Choosing a New Garage Door: This site provides tips and advice on choosing a new garage door, including color and windows or lack thereof.
- Garage Door Torsion Spring Replacement: This site provides information for the homeowner on replacing the torsion spring in a garage door.
- Best Garage Door Openers: This site provides both expert and consumer reviews on garage door openers, including pricing guides.
- Installing a Garage Door Opener Tutorial: This site provides step by step audio and written information on installing a garage door opener.
- How to Insulate a Garage Door: Sponsored by DIY Network, this site describes in words and pictures steps to insulate a garage door.
- Washing Windows the Easy Way: This site provides text, photos and drawings to show homeowners how to easily wash any window.
- Windows of Opportunity: DIY Window Replacement: This site describes how to measure, remove, and install new windows and trim.
- Windows- Do It Yourself: This site provides creative ideas on dressing up the windows.
- Home Improvement – Windows: This site provides all sorts of information on windows, including ideas on window treatments.
- Vinyl Replacement Windows Information: This site provides information on vinyl replacement windows, including IG units, VT and the U-factor.
Miscellaneous Home Repairs, Tips & Tricks
- Encyclopedia of Home Improvements: This site is a compendium of home improvement information, with sections including tools, topics, glossary and more.
- Basic Home Repair Tools: This site provides information on the new homeowner’s best tools to have in his or her toolbox, such as a utility knife and wrench.
- DIY Network: Home Improvement: Sponsored by the DIY Network, this site provides lots of information on various topics in home improvement, with video and photo help.
- Home Tips: This site provides tips for homeowners on installation, repair, maintenance and buying guides of various home systems and items.